SpeakIt! is free text to speech extension that reads selected text using TTS technology with language auto-detection. It can read text in more than 50 languages.
- First select the text you want it to read.
- Then click the icon to start listening.
- When it is ready to read, the number of sentences is shown on the icon.
- To stop listening at any time click pause
- After installation you may need to restart Chrome so SpeakIt can function correctly
- This extension uses Google text-to-speech service. Please visit http://goo.gl/OOVgp to see if it is accessible to you.
New in v 0.2.98:
- Small bug fixes
- Fixed update bug
New in v 0.2.4:
- Switched to Chrome lang detect API due to Google translate API has been deprecated (SpeakIt now detect input language by language of whole page not only selected text :( :( )
- Improved how SpeakIt! splits sentences, now it stops on right places and pronunciation is much better.
- Added internationalization support. SpeakIt! is now localized on 12 languages.
- Fixed some small bugs
New in v 0.2.3:
- Implemented new Chrome TTS API
- Added offline (native) TTS support
- Added feature to add and configure new TTS engines/voices
- Fixed some bugs
New in v 0.2.2:
- Added keyboard shortcut support
- Added context menu support
- Added new features in options page
- Fixed some bugs
New in v 0.2.1:
- Added Speech Input feature ( Speech to Text ) enable from options
- Changed User Graphical Interface, SpeakIt now use Zen audio player which i hope you will like it ;)
- Fixed lot of bugs that caused previous version of SpeakIt to end in middle of reading
- Added Options feature
- Added donations button ( can be hidden from options menu )
Any comments, suggestions and critics are welcomed you can contact me on twitter @SkechBoy
If you like the extension please rate it.
Extore is a team of professionals who are passionate about creating extensions for web browsers. This devotion also gives us opportunity to appreciate work of other people. We get inspired by useful, open source extensions made by developers all over the world. Our strong belief is that one should share helpful add-ons with others. That’s why we’d like to present you our ever-growing list of favourite extensions that have inspired us. Moreover, as you probably have already learned, sometimes struggling for the best brings an end to the good. Talking about add-ons it often turns out that an upgrade is worse then previous version. Also it can become really tricky to get back to the beloved version of your favourite extension. That’s why we’re going to make not only the latest, but all versions of our favourite (and we hope yours too) add-ons available for download. No more compromises, just stick to the version you really like!